Date:      Sat, 13 Jan 2001 03:40:23 +0900
From:      Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org>
To:        jhb@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: CFR: Generalized power-management interface

Hi,

> > I'll get device major number for /dev/power and commit them within a
> > few days if no objection.
>
> One thing that I was talking about with Mike Smith is that perhaps instead of
> having a /dev/power just for power management stuff we should be a bit more
> generic and have a /dev/health used for anything related to the machine's
> "health"?  This could include power management, thermal zones, etc.  BTW, the

I'm not sure if /dev/health is better but I think having common API
for the machine's health is good thing.  How about having /dev/power,
/dev/thermal or whatever related with machine's health as abstracted
layers, and creating API libraries for each subsystems like libpower,
then providing libhealth as full-set API for the applications?

> battery status doesn't work on my laptop unfortunately, but that is because I
> have to have the Super IO (and thus all GPIO) disabled to get ACPI to boot. :(

Is that related with embedded controller too?