Date:      Tue, 1 Jun 1999 20:13:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Andrew Kenneth Milton <akm@mail.theinternet.com.au>
Cc:        matt@Mlink.NET (matt), akm@mail.theinternet.com.au, bc@thehub.com.au, cain@tasam.com, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Shell Account system

:|
:| Actually, You normally would make an account called irc or ircd, chmod
:| that home directory 700, set the D/S paths in the ircd config, and run
:| it FROM the irc home dir, with the conf chmod 600. There's absolutely
:| no need to SUID ircd at all, nor would I recommend it.
:
:Unless you have multiple remote admins, who you don't want to be
:able to stuff with the conf files, but, you do want them to be able
:to restart the daemon.
:
:--
:Totally Holistic Enterprises Internet|  P:+61 7 3870 0066   |  Andrew

    You can always argue that your favoriate methods of admin requires
    binaries to be suid-root, but all it means is that you need to change
    your methods.

    In this case, I think of several ways to avoid running ircd as root or
    with root and have admins who do not have root or access to the ircd
    account to nevertheless be able to restart the daemon.  Perhaps with
    a special port/password, or simply with an suid-ircd program which kills
    and restarts ircd.  No brainer.  No root access required.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>