Date:      Mon, 17 Apr 2000 08:02:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Frank Mayhar <frank@exit.com>
To:        Chris Richards <crichard-freebsd@wso.williams.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, cg@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sound Blaster Live! 4.0 (Re: 4.1 date?)

Chris Richards wrote:
> For one thing, the Linux driver would generate an NMI on module load,
> and then cease to do anything anomalous (Linux doesn't panic on
> unexpected NMIs).  The fact that both drivers exhibit this NMI
> behavior, though, makes me think that either (1) their respective
> authors made the same programming error -- how does one generate NMIs
> from software, anyhow? -- or (2) there is something wrong with the
> SBLive hardware.

Well, I'm guessing that it's the card itself generating the NMIs because
it wasn't initialized correctly by the driver.  Of course, Cameron should
be the one to answer this, and so far I haven't seen him chime in.

> There was also an interaction between the emu10k1 code and the the
> Linux APM driver.  With both enabled, I would see an NMI generated
> precisely every 5 minutes.  With just APM everything was fine, and
> with just the emu10k1 the situation was as described above.  The only
> other person I knew to be observing this behavior was another fellow
> with a Dell Dimension XPS T and ECC memory.

ECC memory seems to be the common denominator; it may be that the card is
doing Bad Things to the bus during memory accesses.  I don't know, I don't
have specs for the card so I can't really make any kind of educated guess,
but I certainly hope this helps Cameron figure it out.

(CC'd to cg@freebsd.org just in case he hasn't been watching this thread.)
--
Frank Mayhar frank@exit.com	http://www.exit.com/