Date:      Fri, 24 May 1996 19:11:32 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        murduth@ludd.luth.se (Joakim Henriksson)
Cc:        af@biomath.jussieu.fr, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: How to send "start unit" to disk during boot?

> > I have  been  given  a  DEC  RZ24  (200Mb)  SCSI  disk  which  I  have
> > successfully connected to my PC (133Mhz Pentium, Intel Endeavour  m/b,
> > AHA2940  controller,  IDE  boot  disk). This disk, like some other DEC
> > disks,   does  *not*  spin  up   when powered up. Other DEC disks have
> > jumpers to change this, the RZ24 doesn't seem to have them.
>
> Some of the Digital (all?) rz disks have the spinup parameter in one of the

Not all.

> vendor specific mode pages of the scsi disk. Try something like
> "scsi -f /dev/rsd?c -m 37 -e -P 3" and change the spinup value to 0 the page
> referenced in the m parameter might be diferent. To find out which page it
> is you should do "scsi -f /dev/rsd?c -m ??" where ?? is from 0x01 to 0x3f
> but maybe in decimal, someone a bit more knowledgable about the scsi command
> help me out! I have only done this on a VAX station using the rzdisk utility
> which works just like scsi but on rz disks :)

Find 'mode8.exe' from gatekeeper.dec.com for the now-Quantum disks of
DEC. Or rzspinup.exe, I think that should work for all of them. Uses
an ASPI interfaced SCSI card.

If you can't find the tools I can send them to you.

The newer DEC disks are either made by Seagate or Quantum. Every DEC
disk that is labeled 'SWX.....' is a Storageworks Multivendor disk that
does staggered spinup on powerup. The disks labeled 'RZ...' are the
on-base (read: for DEC systems) drives that need a spinup command.

The tendency is to go to staggered spinup for all DEC's drives

Wilko (aka bulte@stowks.enet.dec.com)