Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 1995 22:06:07 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Crypto code - an architectural proposal.

> The US State Department wants to spread as much Fear, Uncertainty, and
> Doubt about software exportability as possible, in the hope that it
> will discourage people from attempting to export even legal software
> (or software for which a license can be easily obtained, the category
> I believe libdescrypt.so to fall into).  They and the NSA have their
> own unstated mission to outlaw private encryption entirely, in which
> the current administration is all too eager to help.

Bastards. How do we go about licensing libdescrypt, or will that just
attract the wrong kind of attention?

\begin{rave}
You want to know how ridiculous this law is? There is a T-shirt with
some crypto algorithm in Perl on it. To export these from the US is
Gun-Running. They are printed and freely available in Britain. They are
illegal for possession in France. A textbook on numerical algorithms
which is printed in the US has a discussion and description (and some
code) on DES is exportable. What's the problem???
\end{rave}

Sigh.

Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa
+27 21 61-3768 GMT+0200