Date:      Tue, 05 Sep 2006 18:33:12 -0400
From:      "Brian A. Seklecki" <bseklecki@collaborativefusion.com>
To:        doc@FreeBSD.org, alfred@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Jumpstart Guide / PXE Docs (TFTP ONLY)

These docs should probably more-clearly identify how pxeboot(8) makes
its decision regarding the file retrieval mechanisms. The man page is
ambiguous.

Right now the assumption is that the user wants to use NFS to provide
"/boot".  However TFTP can be used.  I.e., for users who just want to
load kernel+MFS Install image (i.e., install-only, no live system VIA
NFS):

As best I can tell, it has to do with the variables contained with the
DHCP lease offer.  Examples of TFTP-file-retrieval:

I.e.,w e need instructions on:

*) Compiling pxeboot w/o NFS and w/ TFTP support:

   make LOADER_TFTP_SUPPORT=yes

*) Explain troubleshooting inetd(8)/tfpd(8):

  server$ inetd -dl & tail -f /var/log/xfer

*) Explain troubleshooting FTP and NFS:

  server$ tcpdump -n "port tftp"

*) dhcpd(8)/dhcpd.conf(5) examples:

host web00 {
          hardware ethernet c0:ff:33:c0:ff:33;
          fixed-address 192.168.0.100;
          option host-name "web00";
          option routers 192.168.0.1;
          # These get PXE Loaded (read by the hardware)
          filename "/pxeboot";
          option bootfile-name "/pxeboot";
          # These are read by PXE itself to move on to 2nd stage
          option tftp-server-name "192.168.0.50";
          #option root-path "192.168.0.50:/tftpboot";
          server-name "192.168.0.50";
          next-server 192.168.0.50;
}

The strange thing is that even with the proper config pxeboot(8) still
attempts to init NFS using "NFS MOUNT RPC error: 60", then gracefully
fails and continues to TFTP load...

~BAS

--
Brian A. Seklecki <bseklecki@collaborativefusion.com>