Date:      Tue, 15 Jan 2002 09:42:37 +0200
From:      Ari Suutari <ari.suutari@syncrontech.com>
To:        Rene de Vries <rene@canyon.xs4all.nl>, "Kshitij Gunjikar" <kshitijgunjikar@yahoo.com>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Filtering packets received through an ipsec tunnel

Hi,

On Monday 14 January 2002 19:55, Rene de Vries wrote:
> Kshitij,
> A good solution, from my point of view, would be, instead of passing
> evering thing from an ipsec tunnel, using ip-filter (&co, but without
> dummyet) on emerging packets. These packets should then have a different
> interface or a special flag for easy testing in ip-filter (&co).
> I don't know what the best solution would be, extending ip-filter with
> an extra flag or adding a special (dummy) interface. My gut feeling is a
> special flag makes more sense, but will break current ip-filter/ipfw
> syntax/configurations.

	This kind of flag might be easy to add to ipfw, I think.
	Currently, in ip_input there is:

	if (ipsec_gethist(m, NULL)
		goto pass;

	Maybe one could remove this, add 'ipsec' flag to ipfw
	(which would use the above ipsec_gethist to match it)
	so the syntax would be something like this:

	ipfw add pass tcp from a to b ipsec setup # matches only packets that came
via ipsec stack
	ipfw add pass 50 from a to b # matches packets that didn't come via ipsec

	I think that this would be much cleaner than fake interfaces
	most implementations seem to use.

		Ari S.