Date:      Sun, 25 Apr 1999 03:12:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        "Bart (The Good Guy) Trzynadlowski" <trzy@powernet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fbsd3.1 bootmanager isnt installing during installation  procedure

On Sat, 24 Apr 1999, Bart (The Good Guy) Trzynadlowski wrote:

> Hello,
> 	I've been having quite an ordeal trying to get FreeBSD to install! It
> simply will NOT install the boot manager! It asks wether or not i want to
> install it on the wd2 after I reserve a spot for FreeBSD. What should I do?
> I tried saying yes and then performing the operation on wd0 and ive tried
> every combination i could think of but it usually asks me twice. The second
> time i MUST choose WD2 otherwise it wont let me mount FBSD partitions on
> that drive, it will attempt to use wd0. This is such a hassle, anything I
> can do? Any way to make a boot floppy a la RedHat Linux?

er, ok.... here's what you want

"OSBS"

you can get it from:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/tools/osbsbeta.exe

it's a self extracting DOS executable that allows you to install
a boot manager to select between FreeBSD and your other OS's...

use the "beta" file it's much nicer and i've yet to have problems
with it.

also, if you want to boot to freebsd, put a boot floppy in
and press the spacebar at the bootloader "booting kernel in 9 seconds..."
then try playing with "set currdev" and "help" commands, you should
figure it out. :)

good luck,
-Alfred