Date:      Sat, 30 Oct 1999 07:59:24 +1000
From:      Brendon Meyer <Brendon_Meyer@fmi.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Journaling

--------------05EC013FE31FB7BB9593D362

Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Wednesday, 27 October 1999 at 21:05:04 -0600, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> > Don wrote...
> >> Correct C represents the entire disk.

> >> I will have to check this out. Thanks for the info. Is there any reason
> >> that disklabel has this limit?
> >
> > It has been that way for a long time.  I'm not sure why the limit is 8, but
> > it is.  (Someone might know.  I suspect it was just an arbitrary value
> > chosen a long time ago.)  Changing it might break backwards compatibility,
> > though.
>
> There was some discussion about increasing it at one point.  But as
> you say, it would probably confuse some programs, and I personally
> don't see any need.

Ok this is really starting to get off topic on the point of the original thread
but I would like to make a comment though.

While I agree that expanding the current disklabel may break some existing
stuff, I do beg to disagree about the need (this is an opinion so take it with
the appropriate grain of salt).

There are two situations where you can quite easily 'run out' of partitions.
1.  Physically large individual data volumes.  Example is a DPT RAID
configuration of a 4 x 32 GB disk RAID 5 array which then presents the resultant
RAID 5 disk array to the system as an individual 96 GB drive.
2.  System disk with more than 1 'DOS' style partition already in use (example:
DOS/95/98 + BSD + LINUX).

With individually large data volumes the 'sting' is somewhat reduce by the
judicious use of FDISK slices, but it is not removed entirely.  With most
servers having individual volumes <60Gb this scheme generally works reasonable
well but I can tell you from personal experience that when you have a 4 x 32 GB
volume (as above) which you do need to split up further, then this does become a
bit of a problem.

In the case of a 'shared system disk', often you don't have the option to use
any additional 'FDISK' style slices as they have already all been used by other
OS's.

Cheers,

--
Brendon Meyer