Date:      Sun, 12 Oct 1997 11:51:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Dowdal <jdowdal@destiny.erols.com>
To:        Jerry Hicks <wghhicks@ix.netcom.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp transfers crawling...

On Sun, 12 Oct 1997, Jerry Hicks wrote:

> Just me?
>
> Since about Wednesday's make world of 2.2-STABLE, I can't make *any* ftp
> download do better that 1K on my 28.8k modem .  That's trying a lot of
> different sites.  I'm using IJPPP.  All was well before, no config
> changes have been made.
>
> Maybe Netcom... Anybody else notice anything?

I am having similar problems.  Few reproducable ones:

1) scp -pr <large.directory@umd.edu> destiny.erols.com:<destination>

   crawls at 1K/sec or so.  I can split the set of files to download
   into separate batches, and do three downloads in parallel, which will
   get the full 3K/sec bandwidth of a 28.8 modem.  University of
   maryland's SMDS connection usually has no trouble saturating my modem
   :)

2) http://www.weatherpost.com

   Downloads part of the page, then stalls, and finally the
   connection closes before the page displays.  Download is about 200bytes
   per second when it works.

3) http://www.intel.com

   Go to their developer/literature section.  Try downloading a big PDF.
   Stall, timeout.

4) cvsup.freebsd.org

   Connection timeout after about "200K of Wire Tot".  Extremely slow
   until timeout

   This kinda stinks .. its hard to get the fix when the sup never
   completes :(

All of these problems are caused when dialed in through erols springfield
dedicated line.  THey have received no other complaints, and I can use
their normal dynamic system from windows without problem [have not tested
with FreeBSD..]

John