Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 2004 00:10:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
To:        Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
Cc:        "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: www/64120: /mnt/www/en/ports/needs to be re-run

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Mark Linimon wrote:

> > The idea I have been thinking about was e.g. using the INDEX file
> > already generated elsewhere (e.g. the INDEX tinderbox kris already runs)
> > for the build on www.  But it was just an idea, and I have no plans to
> > work on that at the moment.  Also I haven't looked more closely into the
> > consequences of doing this (with regards to mirrors).
>
> As a suggestion, the Ports Monitoring database already has its own
> internal representation of much of the metadata, with the exception
> of the dependencies.  It has the advantage of being no more than one
> hour out of date -- it knows to incrementally update individual ports'
> metadata based on the output of a ports cvsup.  Pieces of it could
> be recycled to do this kind of function, or it could create a report
> that could be grabbed.
>
> No doubt, this could also be done based off of FreshPorts' database,
> which probably has a nearly identical set of metadata.

If you folks want the data exported from FreshPorts, which is usually
always up to date, it should be pretty simple to create something you need
(i.e. XML).  The data is all there.  All FreshPorts does for
http://www.freshports.org/www/ is pull stuff from the database.

--
Dan Langille - BSDCan: http://www.bsdcan.org/