Date:      Fri, 8 Jul 2022 13:48:57 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        John Kennedy <warlock@phouka.net>
Cc:        "Wall, Stephen" <stephen.wall@redcom.com>, "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Installing 13.1 ARM on SSD

On 2022-Jul-8, at 13:30, Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 2022-Jul-8, at 13:10, Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com> wrote:
>=20
>> On 2022-Jul-8, at 12:15, John Kennedy <warlock@phouka.net> wrote:
>>=20
card's (mounted) msdos partition onto the SSD's (also mounted) efi =
partition.  That got past the firmware message, but then it stopped in =
the boot loader asking for a partition to boot from.  =
'zfs:zroot/ROOT/default' resulted in an unknown partition.
.img file, and that is working, but it's UFS, not ZFS.  I'll give your =
steps a try, and if I get nowhere, I might wind up creating a UFS =
partition for root and boot, and make the rest of the disk zfs with my =
desired filesystems.
>>>=20
>>> So, bsdinstall should have set that up (zroot/ROOT/default).  =46rom =
the
>>> UFS disk, I think (off the top of my head) you can just do a "zfs =
import
>>> zroot" and then you should be able to see it (and everything else) =
with
>>> a:  "zfs list -tall -r zroot"  If you picked something other than =
zroot
>>> for the pool name, you might need to do some more tweaking.
>>>=20
>>> In my case, my USB disk is only ~256G.
>>=20
>> "The Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System"
>> says about ZFS (page 548):
>>=20
>> "Like all non-overwritingfile systems, ZFS operates best
>> when at least a quarter of its disk pool is free. Write
>> throughout becomes poor when the pool gets too full. By
>> contrast, UFS can run well to 95 percent full and acceptably
>> to 99 percent full."
>>=20
>> So, for a 256 GiByte USB disk used basically just as space for
>> one ZFS area (so nearly all the 256 GiBytes is available),
>> That would mean being careful to avoid having much less than
>> 64 GiBytes free on the media: hopefully using less than 192
>> 192 GiBytes of space at all times.
>=20
> Corrections: "that" not "That". Only one "192".
>=20
>>> I don't know if uboot has any
>>> BIOS limitations like old x86 did.  I've never had to be too wary, =
but
>>> then I've never had BIOS-breaking SSDs laying around to attach to =
RPI.
>>>=20
>>> I think uboot has some commands that might let you do some zfs
>>> exploration,
>=20
> I'm not aware of the RPi* firmware or the U-Boot that it
> loads and starts being able to deal with ZFS of themselves.
>=20
> The first stage that deals with ZFS, to my knowledge, is the
> FreeBSD EFI loader (that was loaded and started by U-Boot).
>=20
> The RPi4B sequencing for the normal FreeBSD way of
> setting things up is:
>=20
> RPi* firmware (I'll  not give substages in this)
> -> armstub8-gic and U-Boot

Sorry:

armstub8-gic is RPi4B (and related) specific.
The other/older aarch64 RPi*'s use armstub8 .

> -> FreeBSD loader
> -> FreeBSD kernel
> -> FreeBSD world
>=20
> The FreeBSD loader goes on the msdosfs file system,
> under efi/ . . . but that msdosfs file system also
> has the RPi* firmware, armstub8-gic, and U-Boot
> files at its top level.
>=20
> (Most other SBC boards seem to have U-Boot [and,
> sometimes more] outside any file system, needing to
> be dd'd to the right place that the partitioning
> and file systems need to avoid overlapping.)
>=20
>>> but hate to point you at web resources because there seems
>>> to be a huge variations in what we end up with on FreeBSD/RPI.  My =
RPI
>>> is a few hours into a firefox rebuild so I can't give you some real
>>> guidance from what I'm using at the moment.
>=20

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com