Date:      Fri, 20 Mar 1998 23:57:17 -0600
From:      Graphic Rezidew <rezidew@rezidew.net>
To:        Bryan Swann <swann@nosc.mil>
Cc:        Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I need some proxies! :)

I completely understand that there MAY be cause for having a seperate
ipfw
and proxy server. I was just wondering if it were absolutely necessary
in
this case. I understand the pinch that corporate security guys can put
on
a project and that's all I was wondering.

Bryan Swann wrote:

> In case you didm't see my last post, there are valid reasons for having a
> seperate web proxy server.  A web proxy like SQUID not only serves as a
> proxy, it caches the web data.  When SQUID already has a web page in
> cache, there is no need fot it to go out on the Internat to get it.  This
> can greatly reduce the amount of traffic going through the firewall.
>
> A second reason for a seperate web proxy is to reduce the processing the
> firewall has to perform.  The firewall could simply use a packet screen
> rule, instead of a proxy, to only allow the REAL proxy server external
> access.  The packet screen requires less processing than the proxy.
>
> I'm currently aiding a group in developing a parallel firewall solution.
> This design will include an internal web proxy/cache server.

---big snip---

> > Just out of curiosity, why would you need a proxy on the "inside" of the
> > ''firewall''? I could see using it in select situations, but you may be
> > walking up a hill that you don't need to.
---snip---
One of the advantages of being a captain is being able to ask for
advice without necessarily having to take it.
                -- Kirk, "Dagger of the Mind", stardate 2715.2