Date:      Wed, 1 Mar 2000 19:36:31 -0700 (MST)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: M$ one-ups UNIX???

On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> * Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com> [000301 18:58] wrote:
> > In article <local.mail.freebsd-chat/20000301184547.X21720@fw.wintelcom.net> you write:

> > >a) really symlinks/hardlinks or,
> > >b) a bit cooler... basically identifying duplicate files and merging
> > >   them to be COW'd if they are ever written to?
> > >
> > >'a' is obviously not an innovation, and 'b' seems to be quite a useless
> > >feature which brings back memories of the hype behind compressed volumes
> > >in the early 90s.
> > >
> > >I'm sure there's better things a box could do with idle time than
> > >search for duplicate files.

I really think it is (b).  It does seem like a cool thing initially, but
scares me.  So now if you make a copy of a file for a backup on the
same drive, and a sector is toasted for whatever reason, you magically
lose both copies.

It seems to me that this is a feature that was added from the
"damn, we should have had links, too late now" perspective.  The
idea being that it is too late now to make all the legacy software
aware of links and make them deal with them properly and use them,
so they can try to hack around it.

> > Um, perhaps in a M$ environment it might make sense.  What happens
> > when all umpity-dozen of your MS-Exchange (l)users take it upon
> > themselves to mail the latest joke .gif throughout the company?
>
> IIS crashes?

No, IIS has nothing to do with that.

The feature they added to w2k to help out your IIS cashes is
explained at
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/library/howitworks/iis/iis5techoverview.asp
:

        To make it faster and easier to restart IIS, the reliable
        restart feature of IIS 5.0 allows an administrator to
        restart Web services without rebooting the computer.

Well.  Gee.  Thanks for the feature.

> I'm still unclear as to what this addresses...

Keep it on the Unix level for an easier example.  Say someone mails
a 100 meg file to 20 people that have mailboxes on a machine.  So
there will be 100 megs in each /var/mail/user mailbox.  The idea
behind this feature is that it could magically detect that and
combine the bodies to point to a single reference on disk that is
read-only; if changes are made, then that block or whatever is copied.

Sounds wonderful at first glace.  Also sounds very ugly on an
implementation level.