Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 11:25:45 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
Cc:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@nwlink.com>, cjclark@alum.mit.edu, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Language for Modeling Mechanical System

Roelof Osinga said on Jul 26, 2000 at 22:45:16:
> Nope. That would be APL. Nothing wrong with Fortran. The versions
> after IV are quite nice, actually. At least, from what I've seen and
> read about them. Haven't used Fortran after IV. The GNU has a
> F77 translator. Turns F77 into C.

You're probably talking about f2c.

Actually, they have a g77 compiler (bundled with egcs and gcc 2.95),
which uses the gcc compiler back-end but doesn't do any intermediate
translation to c.  It seems to produce faster results than f2c. But
it's not great, I think it's slower than the gcc C compiler.  If you
have access to an alpha, Compaq's (originally Digital) fortran for
alpha/linux compiler is available as a free download; I don't know
whether it works on FreeBSD.  It's supposed to be about the best
Fortran compiler around.

But I don't think fortran is any help at all for symbolic
manipulation, which I thought was your original requirement.  It's
certainly used a lot for numbercrunching.

Rahul.