Date:      Mon, 6 Feb 1995 17:14:43 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, hasty@netcom.com
Subject:   Re: kernel breakpoints?

>I am trying to debug the sound driver and would like to set a
>breakpoint in the driver. If type :
>break _sndopen
>	or
>break sndopen

>The kernel debugger comes back saying symbol not found??

With current kernels and bootstraps, you have to give the -D flag to
the bootstrap to load the symbols, and not use lkm's for the parts
that you want to debug.

>	So what is the magic incantation? :)

>P.S.: I did compile the sound driver with -g ...

-g is mostly wasted for the kernel debugger, and may not work.  Old
kernels and bootstraps only allowed about 100K for symbols, so all
the symbols produced by -g couldn't possibly fit.  Now a full symbol
table may just take longer to load and waste a few MB of memory.

Bruce