Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2000 11:16:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      Spidey <beaupran@iro.umontreal.ca>
To:        asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>, security@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/games/omega Makefile (fwd)

I have a better idea. Let's make the ports system install the file,
with the permissions and standards described in the PLIST file, that
could be in a mtree-like format.

Even better, this scheme would allow us to do mtree (MD5, etc) checks on
3rd party software after it was installed.

I was thinking of enforcing this in /etc/security too for checking the
suids...

A lot of work to do here.. :))

--- At 00:52 of March 8, Big Brother made Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami write:
 >  * From: Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
 >
 >  * I'm not going to generate a security advisory about this, but reinstall
 >  * this port if you have it.
 >
 > Thanks, for catching it.
 >
 >  * In general, if you have anything installed which is setuid games on a
 >  * multiuser machine, it's a good candidate for removal (games aren't the
 >  * most securely-programmed things):
 >  *
 >  * find /usr/local/bin -user games -perm -4000
 >  *
 >  * Ports maintainers who own such a file (please check the above!) please
 >  * make the necessary changes to install it setgid games, not setuid foo.
 >  *
 >  * A user who exploits a game binary to get the games group probably can't do
 >  * much apart from alter game score/save files (although this still might be
 >  * a security risk if you can convince the game to somehow execute code you
 >  * put in the file), whereas if they have setuid games they can trojan the
 >  * binary directly for the next user.
 >
 > This should not be allowed to happen.  Shouldn't all binaries be
 > installed without write permission?  That's the way it is in /usr,
 > maybe we should mandate it in /usr/local and /usr/X11R6.  (Hmm, why
 > does imake config files want to install stuff with permission *755?)
 >
 > Satoshi

Si l'image donne l'illusion de savoir
C'est que l'adage pretend que pour croire,
L'important ne serait que de voir

Lofofora