Date:      Sun, 5 Oct 1997 22:45:54 +0200
From:      Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk>
To:        Chuck <crtb@capecod.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tape Backup

	[Cc:ed to freebsd-scsi]

Chuck writes:
> > Khanh Nguyen writes:
> > > 	Does FBSD-2.2.2-REL support Hewlett Packard Colorado T3000 tape
> > > backup devices?  If so, has anyone configured the kernel to use this?  And
> > > if yes, can you send me the copy of the kernel config?
>
> > 	We're talking about the Travan SCSI HP/Colorado, right ?
> > 	There was some talk about this drive some time ago, and IIRC,
> > 	it has a problem with tape locking or something like it (i.e.:
> > 	the Travan doesn't support it, and any operations to access the
> > 	drive fail miserably).  Last time I checked the archives, no
> > 	no patch is available.  Maybe check the Linux code (don't know
> > 	if they support it).
>
> Alas, as I found out, non-SCSI tapes of all stripes remain unsupported
> under FreeBSD-2.2.2 :-(  So I forked over 3 bills and bought a TR-4,
> installed it as /dev/st0, and bingo, it goes like a champ, around
> 500KB/second!

	I thought the T3000 was scsi (travan).
	What tape format does the TR-4 use ?

> Alas, over an ethernet from another FreeBSD 2.2.2 system using dump,
> it hiccuped continuously, getting just about 50KB/second.
> Is there any fix for that, like perhaps a humongous buffer?  I figured,
> since the average data rate was 50KB/sec., and the hiccups averaged
> 4 seconds, I was buffering about 200KB.  Can I buffer say, 10MB?

	I expereienced the same problem with an old DAT drive and
	remote dump -- 50K/sec where I usualy get 200.  This with a 2.2.1
	laptop dumping to a -current machine.

--
                                                              -- Phil

-[ Philippe Regnauld  /  Systems Administrator  /  regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk ]-