Date:      Fri, 7 Sep 2012 12:57:42 +0100
From:      "Steven Hartland" <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
To:        "Beat Gaetzi" <beat@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [FreeBSD-Announce] Announcing the end of port CVS

Moved discussion to freebsd-ports...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Beat Gaetzi" <beat@FreeBSD.org>
>> portsnap also doesn't appear to provide feature compatibility
>> with csup, specifically it states in the man page that it
>> deletes unknown files and restore modified files to their
>> unmodified state.
>>
>> This makes maintaining custom patches very hard. Is there an
>> option to disable this behaviour?
>
> You can blacklist custom ports with a REFUSE line in portsnap.conf or
> use a Subversion checkout to maintain your local modifications.

Is there no way to tell it not to delete unknown files so we
don't have to add addional steps to the workflow flow of adding
additional patches to local port builds?

I appreciate things must move forward but this seems like a step
backwards in terms of functionality :(

>> Also where is the local mirrors list for portsnap as I can't
>> find anything like the mirrors list for cvsup e.g.
>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html#CVSUP-MIRRORS
>
> Mirrors for portsnap are selected using geolocation:
> http://www.daemonology.net/blog/2012-05-20-portsnap-geolocation.html

Not wishing to be a pain but its often the case that simple
geolocation fails to be optimal due to load network paths etc,
is there a list of the available sites so we can test and use
the best mirror for us?

    Regards
    Steve

or return the E.mail to postmaster@multiplay.co.uk.