Date:      Tue, 8 Nov 2005 07:41:31 -0000 (GMT)
From:      jhall@vandaliamo.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   USB Hard Drive Problems

Recently, I purchased several Western Digital External Hard Drives to be
used for backup purposes.  The test unit I purchased worked out of the
box, but I am having problems getting the newer ones to work.

When they are plugged in to a FreeBSD 5.3 or 5.4 server, I receive the
following messages:

Nov  8 01:31:12 test kernel: umass0: Western Digital External HDD, rev
2.00/6.02
Nov  8 01:31:12 test kernel: uhid0: Western Digital External HDD, rev
2.00/6.02, addr2, iclass 8/6

This is where my confusion lies.  From what I can see the hard drive is
detected properly as a umass device, but is also detected as a human input
device.  And, the da device, which I think I will use to access the device
is not created.

If I plug my memory stick into the USB port, the memory stick is detected
and I am able to access the device through da0.

Thanks in advance.

Jay