Date:      Sat, 6 Aug 2005 17:11:37 -0500
From:      Nikolas Britton <nikolas.britton@gmail.com>
To:        Mervin McDougall <mcd_advisory@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Conflict between high resolution console and X

On 8/6/05, Mervin McDougall <mcd_advisory@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi all
>   I have been experimenting with FreeBSD 6.0 BETA 2 on
> my laptop which uses a  ati radeon Mobile Utiliy 1
> (IGP 320M) video vard. I have been able to configure
> both high console resolution MODE_279 and X on the
> laptop, however I have noticed that this error turns
> up whenever I boot the system or restart X :
>=20
> drm0: <ATI Radeon RS100 Mobility U1> port
> 0x9000-0x90ff mem
> 0xe8000000-0xefffffff,0xe0100000-0xe010ffff irq 9 at
> device 5.0 on pci1
> info: [drm] Initialized radeon 1.16.0 20050311 on
> minor 0
> error: [drm:pid2557:radeon_cp_init] *ERROR*
> radeon_cp_init called without lock held
> error: [drm:pid2557:drm_unlock] *ERROR* Process 2557
> using kernel context 0
>=20
> After much googling and scanning of my system, I
> figured a quick way to get rid of the error message,
> by disabling dri in the xorg.conf. But that is not the
> only problem I discovered. I noticed that when playing
> music there is constant annoying repeating of the
> sound until the console displays. This only happens
> when switching from X to high resolution console.
> Switching back does not reproduce the problem.

I've always had that problem on my patched freebsd 5 (had it setup for
months) system. Scrolling (scroll lock) will do it to... It may help
to play with the sysctls for:

hw.snd.pcm%d.buffersize:
Configure the amount of DMA bufferspace available for a device....
jack this up to like 16384

hw.snd.targetirqrate:
Set the default block size such that continuous playback will achieve
this                                       IRQ rate.  This value can
be tuned to improve application performance.                         =20
            Increase this value when the sound lags and decrease it if
sound stutters or                                       breaks up.....
just this up to

You set them with loader.conf, here's what I have in mine:
hw.snd.maxautovchans=3D4
hw.snd.targetirqrate=3D36
hint.pcm.0.buffersize=3D"16384"

You can check it with: sysctl -a hw.snd=20