Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 2004 15:09:31 -0700
From:      Gordon Tetlow <gordon@freebsd.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GEOM class idea...

--0iexB5Bk8cF8G6DP

On Sun, Jun 13, 2004 at 07:14:11PM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>=20
> OK, here is one of the more nasty ideas for a GEOM class:
>=20
> Many of us read CD's into iso images, stick them on a harddisk and
> mount them from there when we need to access them.  This usually
> costs us a md(4) vnode gadget, and that is really a waste.

=2E.. description of grotty geom class ...

I can't imagine that all the pain that you are talking about is a
worthwhile effort when it's so easy to do a md backed file. I can
just about guarentee that users will have spare files and capacity
before they have a spare disk running around.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but what is the advantage of
going straight off of the disk? Are you trying to avoid the FFS
filesystem overhead?

-gordon

--0iexB5Bk8cF8G6DP

--0iexB5Bk8cF8G6DP--