Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2001 09:19:14 -0700
From:      "John Howie" <JHowie@msn.com>
To:        "Matt Dillon" <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, "Garrett Wollman" <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: RE: bin/22595: telnetd tricked into using arbitrary peer ip

This is getting off-topic for security but how about taking utmp and
implementing it as a device? I haven't sat down and thought it all through
but you could reasonably easily check the format of the data written to it
(or at least check the size) to determine how to handle it, and likewise for
the reads. That way you don't have to break your back trying to port all
those third party apps. A daemon could pick up the processed data and write
it to a log.

Even better, have the information validated in the kernel before being
logged. From a security perspective I have never liked the fact that crucial
log files can just be written to by any old app that happens to run in root
context.

john...