Date:      Sat, 21 Sep 2013 23:09:23 +0100
From:      Big Lebowski <spankthespam@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Fwd: Help in testing Basho Riak port

On Sat, Sep 21, 2013 at 9:48 PM, Dimitry Andric <dim@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Sep 21, 2013, at 21:58, Big Lebowski <spankthespam@gmail.com> wrote:
> > While this is of course true, their package has some issues:
> >
> > * it doesnt work with pkgng - mine, built with make package from port
> does
> > * it is using and requiring sudo - mine is patched to use su, one
> dependency less
> > * it requires explicit OpenSSL version from ports, forcing users to use
> libmap.conf - mine works with OpenSSL from base
> > * it doesnt have rc scripts - mine does
> >
> > Because of all these reasons I decided to write this port, as it was
> scratching my own itch, I needed Riak on FreeBSD, and the package was
> almost unusable. Not mentioning, that now you've freedom to compile it with
> GCC/CLANG with any optimizations you want.
> >
> > Hope it makes some sense :)
>
> Sure, that makes perfect sense.  It would be nice if you could let Basho
> know once there is an official port, so they can direct their FreeBSD users
> to it, instead of the hand-built package.

I've contacted with Basho (at least one of their staff via their IRC
channel) when I started working on that port, and I've received quite a lot
of help from him. However, their mysterious 'package guy' is not a fan of
port, because he built a set of scripts to build package, and I think he
considers that as a direct competition, instead of help, even thought the
person I've been talking to understand all the points above and argees with
me.

> Btw, does the port pull in Erlang and its dependencies?  Or does it
> include the interpreter and support stuff in the package?

If you'd test it, you would know the answer ;) The port has Erlang as build
dependency, as the Basho marke rel target builds everything the Riak needs,
and after make install/package it can be removed.

B.