Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2000 20:25:32 -0500
From:      "Doug Poland" <doug@polands.org>
To:        "ListServer FreeBSD Questions" <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <troy@psknet.com>, "Gene Harris" <zeus@tetronsoftware.com>, <freebsd@dohd.org>, <so@server.i-clue.de>, <matt@researcher.com>
Subject:   RE: routing problem, SOLVED!

Many thanks to all that have helped me with
my routing problem.  The issue was that I was
using unregistered IP addresses on my internal
network.  Simply enabling routing was not enough.
I had to compile the firewall options in the kernel,
run natd AND... set the following ipfw rule...

host# ipfw add 500 divert natd all from any to any via ed0

The following URL's proved quite useful:
http://www.freebsd-howto.com/HOWTO/NAT-HOWTO
http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/ipfw.html

Also have to credit Greg Lehey's "The Complete FreeBSD"

Well, now that I have a working gateway, it's time to
tighten up the firewall, get sendmail working, expose
my web and ftp servers, get DNS working, implement
an internal time server, and on and on and on...
(and all this on 80486's that other people have
"thrown away")

Regards,
Doug