Date:      Tue, 15 Sep 1998 17:55:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Karl Swartz <kls@ohare.chicago.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Subject:   HP OmniBook and pccardd

I'm trying to get my HP OmniBook 800CT to recognize a modem or an
Ethernet card (even better, both!) in the PCMCIA slots.  No matter
what I put in, I get

   pccardd[50]: No card in database for ""("")

logged via syslog.  Pretty much stock FreeBSD 2.2.7, just a few kernel
options based on a mix of GENERIC and PCCARD templates.  (I needed to
force MAXMEM, prune out some cruft I didn't need, etc.)  I simply copied
/etc/pccard.conf.sample to /etc/pccard.conf, though I had tried one with
just the Megahertz XJ4336 entry.  Same thing either way.  I did notice
that this file has

   memory 0xd4000  96k

whereas /etc/rc.pccard does

   pccardc pccardmem 0xd0000

if you use the defaults, which I did.  It doesn't seem right for these
to be different, but I haven't a clue what would be correct.

I also tried 'pccardc dumpcis' but it just gives stuff like this:

   Configuration data for card in slot 0
   Tuple #1, code = 0xff (Terminator), length = 0
   2 slots found

On the subject of a PCMCIA Ethernet card, according to the supported
hardware list, IBM and National Semiconductor are the only choices, but
the freebsd-questions archives seem to imply that the 3C589D works.
Does it work with 2.2.7?  What about a 3C562?  I haven't had any luck
finding either IBM or NS cards in stock, but the 3C589 is readily
available, and I've already got a 3C562 I can use.

Thanks in advance!

  - Andrew A. Rooney