Date:      Thu, 25 Feb 1999 15:21:24 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.com>, mike@smith.net.au
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel PILA 8472 (dual port fxp card ?)

At 01:14 PM 2/25/99 -0800, Jim Shankland wrote:
>[Re: multiport Ethernet cards, Mike mentions Adaptec and Phobos.]
>
>And, for completeness' sake, Znyx.  We're happily using the Znyx quad
>cards.
>
>You don't do this for performance.  You do it to be able to get
>a bunch of Ethernet interfaces into one box, without using too
>many PCI slots.

Thanks for the additional feedback.  In terms of performance, I guess I was
thinking about shared DMA channels and IRQs.

The specs would be that the box would need to be able to push 20Mbits
through it running gated.

I was hoping to use the Intel Drivers, I have had great success using
individual fxp cards.

While on the topic of routing, someone mentioned that fiddling with the HZ
value in my kernel can increase router performance.  Is there any truth to
this?

Thanks again for the feedback, it is much appriciated.

	---Mike