Date:      Sat, 3 Jul 1999 18:57:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        kernel@tdnet.com.br
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Login.conf (Whose problem is this) ?

In article <377E34F9.CA198CA5@tdnet.com.br>,
Gustavo V G C Rios  <kernel@tdnet.com.br> wrote:
> i am trying to get a login classes for my users, so i decided to edit
> /etc/login.conf.
>
> Among other, i have yma classes this way:
>

> shell:\
>         :maxproc=5:\
>         :tc=auth-default:
>

> Looking for auth-default, i saw the following:
>
> ## Authentication methods
> ## Note that these are disabled by default, and libutil must
> ## be rebuilt with LOGIN_CAP_AUTH defined to use them.

This stuff is old and obsolete.  LOGIN_CAP_AUTH isn't supported any
more.  (It never was fully supported, actually.)  Don't use it.

> That's happened cause i turn on LOGIN_CAP_AUTH!
> My doubt is: Shouldn't it be -DLOGIN_CAP_AUTH?

Yes, of course.  That's what "with LOGIN_CAP_AUTH defined" means.
But it's broken, so don't bother.

If you want login classes all you need to do is "vipw" and insert
the correct class in the class field.  (See passwd(5) for details.)
If you want to create a new class, just edit it into your login.conf
file and then run cap_mkdb as instructed in the comment at the top
of that file.

John
  "No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up."        -- Nora Ephron