Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 1996 18:26:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bryan Ogawa <bkogawa@primenet.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Booteasy cannot boot from wd0 (first IDE disk)

I have a machine which has a new IDE drive (1.6Gig Seagate).  I installed
2.1.5 on it, and have encountered the following problem:

Booteasy can find the drive, but it cannot reach the boot prompt.

I get a booteasy prompt which looks like this:

   F1 ... BSD
   F5 ... Disk 2

(Disk 2 is a SCSI disk connected with a VLB Adaptec 2480 -- it works
fine, and I can even boot off of it).

If I press F1, it just pops back to the Booteasy prompt.

If I press F5, it boots Disk 2 (which is FreeBSD, and will let me boot
wd(0,a)/kernel to get to the FreeBSD on wd0).

Has anyone seen this problem before?

Could it have to do with cylinders > 1024 ?

bryan k. ogawa  <bkogawa@primenet.com>  <bkogawa@netvoyage.net>