Date:      Sun, 21 Feb 1999 15:22:44 -0500
From:      W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
To:        Jamie Bowden <jamie@itribe.net>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, wghicks@wghicks.bellsouth.net
Subject:   Re: More important Windows Refund Day coverage...

> What crack is he on?  Maybe he didn't notice that communism as a social
> experiment failed before it ever got off the ground.  The leninist
> states that grew out of it also failed, though it took far longer.

From a global perspective, it's probably a smart bet for RMS to take
a quasi-communist stance.  Worldwide, I'd guess that there remain a large
number of communists. Having a strong dislike for communism *is* more
prominent among Americans.

I don't have faith in the traditional form of communist ideology either,
but do believe that the _voluntary_ form of communism sweeping through
the software industry today is of historical importance and that this
"revolution" is borne of similar frustations felt by the serfs (engineers)
toward the czars (big business).

For these reasons, don't be surprised to find quite a few people in the
free software movement possessing strong communist belief systems.

Cheers,

Jerry Hicks
wghicks@bellsouth.net