Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 2004 10:02:59 +0400
From:      Vladimir Grebenschikov <vova@fbsd.ru>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        gnome <freebsd-gnome@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: wireless-applet problems

--=-9kzUjoEy7LdynCFz/Ti+

=F7 =DE=D4, 09/09/2004 =D7 14:02 -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke =D0=C9=DB=C5=D4:

... resend ...

>=20
> Vladimir Grebenschikov wrote:
>=20
> | Hi
> |
> | There is some problems with wireless applet:
> |
> |   - first it does not handle not "wiX" interfaces, I have ndis0 wireles=
> | interface, but applet can't find any wireless interfaces at all. Proble=
> | can be fixed by "ifconfig ndis0 name wi0" but it looks like hack. I
> | guess it is better to query all interfaces for wireless capabilities.
>=20
> Except each interface has different APIs.  I can add ndis to the list in
> the code, but your "hack" is pretty much what I Would be doing in code.
>=20
> |
> |   - second, it can't show wireless level (show N/A) for this interface,
> | card is ndis0: <Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection>
> |     and wicontrol -L shows signal strength, noise and level.
>=20
> I don't have the hardware to test this.  Donations or patches welcome.

Ok, see attached replacement for=20
x11/gnomeapplets2/files/patch-wireless_wireless-applet.c

In two words: reason why original wireless-applet doesn't work - bug in
either ndis-framework or my ndis driver (will report separately).

Anyway signal information can be fetched from the card and it is done in
patch, as well as adding ndis driver to list of "known" drivers.
BUT such solution should be considered as HACK :(, even bigger than it
was (actually bad hack).

Right solution is:
  - fix ndis-wireless drivers (will fix my card issue)
  - make single API (see net80211) for fetching signal quality numbers
    (this will fix hack with interface type detection by name)

> Joe

--=20
Vladimir B. Grebenchikov
vova@fbsd.ru