Date:      Sun, 14 Sep 1997 21:28:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-connect.net>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, missmanp@milo.cfw.com, freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMP in FreeBSD 3.x.x

Hi David Greenman;  On 15-Sep-97 you wrote:
> >:-) was that aroud 30 processors is where scalability will fall off.  We
> >used Dynix + Oracle for O/S application model.  Processor was Pentium.
> >If
> >I remember correctly, the P6-200 has worse instructions/memory/IO
> >bandwidth
> >ratios than Pentiums-66 does.  That led to the conclusion that we will
> >not
> >grow beyond 30 either.  I will not go into what the initial P7 was
> >supposed
>
>     This contradicts a paper that was given at a recent Usenix-sponsored
>  conference that shows that the amount of main memory traffic in P6
>  systems
>  is *dramatically* reduced over Pentium systems. I forget the exact
>  ratio,
>  but it is something like 1/5th. This is entirely due to the superior
>  cache
>  architecture of the P6.

For in-cache applications, this is very true.  For RDBMS applications this
is totally immaterial;  In a typical database operation, very little of the
data resides in the cache.

I hope I am not revealing some proprietary data, but something like an
RDBMS requires abot 2MB cache to  handle the text.  The dataset is so much
larger that one can assume the cache does not exist.

For example, in a typical RDBMS scenario, one may do a full table scan on
several terabytes of data.  The cache size (256-512KB) of a P6 is not
exactly meaningful here.

Also, if you look at the text size of something like Oracle, you will see
8-10MB,  The cache represents 2-4% of that (in a P6).  Before you mention
ordered linking, shared libraries, etc.  I'll haste to say that when I last
looked, Oracle was statically linked (for a mix of good and bad reasons)
and we used to run bets on the number of never-called functions in the code
(the real number was about 1,100 or so).

Also, the typical RDBMS source is not exactly compiant with KNF and not
highly optimized for efficiency.  After all, not many FreeBSD'ers work
there :-) Although at least one Linux contributor does.  I'd better stop
now...

---

Sincerely Yours,                               (Sent on 14-Sep-97, 21:19:34
by XF-Mail)

Simon Shapiro                                                Atlas Telecom
Senior Architect         14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 130 Beaverton OR 97005
Shimon@i-Connect.Net          Voice:  503.643.5559, Emergency: 503.799.2313