Date:      Mon, 7 Mar 2005 10:24:13 -0800
From:      "Cal Cornils" <ccornils@napavalley.edu>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Stian_=D8vrev=E5ge?= <sovrevage@gmail.com>, <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Secure installation and updating

Stian - My understanding of the source downloading process is that every
file that you download from the 'trusted' source (freebsd.org) has an
included checksum.  When you unpack and start to use that file on your
machine, one of the first things that's done is to verify that the (trusted)
checksum matches the calculated (by your own calculation) checksum of the
actual collection of bits you got.  If is doesn't, then the download was
faulty or someone modified the file on the way to your machine.  The chance
of modifying a file while keeping the checksum unchanged is vanishingly
small, especially for source code.

Cal Cornils
Napa Valley College