Date:      Tue, 16 May 2006 18:37:04 -0500
From:      "Rick C. Petty" <rick-freebsd@kiwi-computer.com>
To:        Darcy Buskermolen <darcy@wavefire.com>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Slices + stripes and mirrors

On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 03:55:07PM -0700, Darcy Buskermolen wrote:

> I have a 6.1 setup with 4 identical 300GB disks, ad4,6,8,10.  I'd like to
> create a bootable mirror (gm0s1) of all 4 disks on a 512MB slice, and have
> the remaining space a big slice (gs0s2).  I've tried several different things
> using the docs found @ http://people.freebsd.org/~rse/mirror/ as a guide,
> with little luck, what I usually end up with an invalid partition table, or
> no boot device error when I reboot.  I think the key is somehow in how the
> slices are created on the original (ad4) disk.

Why don't you try using gvinum?  Although intimidating-looking, it's really
not that difficult to setup, and with current geom "bugs" you can't modify
a geom'd disk if it's active (e.g. "fdisk -B" or "bsdlabel -e" both fail &
get stuck in a lock if anything on those disks are mounted).  At least with
gvinum, you can create/delete volumes while the other volumes on the same
disk are mounted.

I think what's happening, although I've not been able to find it in the
source code, is that either gmirror isn't mirroring the boot blocks, or the
procedure everyone's using to create & synchronize the mirror is skipping
the boot blocks.  Try performing "fdisk -B" on each disk before adding them
to the mirror.

-- Rick C. Petty