Date:      Wed, 30 Jun 2004 13:11:41 -0400
From:      Len Zettel <zettel@acm.org>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   checking out douments

In the FreeBSD Documentation Project Primer for New Contributors,
it says:
1.3 Quick Start
#

1. Install the textproc/docproj meta-port.

# cd /usr/ports/textproc/docproj
# make JADETEX=no install
Did that (I think) successfully.
2. Get a local copy of the FreeBSD doc tree. Either use CVSup in
checkout mode to do this,
or get a full copy of the CVS repository locally.

If you have the CVS repository locally then as a minimum you will need
to checkout the doc/share,
and doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/share directories.

% cvs checkout doc/share
% cvs checkout doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/share

If you have plenty of disk space then you could check out everything.

% cvs checkout doc

#

3. If you are preparing a change to an existing book or article, check
it out of the
repository as necessary. If you are planning on contributing a new book
or article
then use an existing one as a guide.
   *   *   *
#

If you wanted to edit an existing document, such as the FAQ, which is in
doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq you would check it out of the repository
like this.

% cvs checkout doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq
Okay.  After some unsuccessful thrashing around I conclude I have to
set the environment variable $CVSROOT.  What is not clear to me is
what exactly to set it to.  Also not clear is whether step 2 is
necessary before
step 3 can proceed succsessfully. Can you help?

thanks in advance
  -LenZ-