Date:      Sun, 31 Aug 1997 15:14:41 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        smp <smp@neutron.neutron.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-SMP@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: motherboard choice

Hi,

> i am interested in getting into SMP. i need to pick a good motherboard.
> the intel PR440FX (100 M/s ethernet, adaptec UW scsi) with 2 200 MHZ PPros
> can be had for abt $1.5K.
> the tyan tomcat IV can handle 2 233 MHZ parts, but no scsi or etthernet.
> or any other suggestions? comments, or advice before i buy?
> thanks

The PR440 can also do 233mHz, the jumpers are there, just undocumented.
The big negative of the intel is that it only has 1 ISA slot.

I personally suggest the gigabyte ga686dx over the tyan.  Iwill makes
a dual P6 with the adaptec UW on it, but I'm not sure if anyone has reported
success with it yet.

Consider the  P6-166x512 chips.  I am overclocking mine to 200 (obviously
no guarantees about this), and the extra cache is *probably* more beneficial
than 33mHz.  They can be had for around $320 each.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by