Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2003 22:41:14 -0500
From:      taxman <taxman@acd.net>
To:        "Doug Reynolds" <mav@wastegate.net>, "davidmarkle@comcast.net" <davidmarkle@comcast.net>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Make failure

On Monday 17 March 2003 09:49 pm, Doug Reynolds wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 16:43:07 -0500, David Markle wrote:
> >Can someone help me with a kernel rebuild make problem ??
> >
> >I have the source tree in place and modified my CUSTOM kernel in
> >/usr/src/sys/i386/conf.  When I run make buildkernel it fails with the
> >following error:
> >
> >make: don't know how to make buildkernel. Stop
> >
> >I know I have missed something stupid, but can't find it on the site.

as others mentioned, you just need ot be in the directory where the makefile
is.  In this case its in /usr/src if you haven't put it somewhare else.

> Maybe I am wrong, but unless you've 'make buildworld', you can't 'make
> buildkernel'.  you have to do it the 'old-fashoned way'

That is wrong.
(For those without the english skills to understand the semantics needed for
Jud's answer:)

Reread the section in the handbook
-If you are building a new kernel without updating the source code (perhaps
just to add a new option, such as IPFIREWALL) you can use either procedure.

That goes doubly for the OP.  Make sure to read the relevant sections
carefully.

Tim