Date:      Wed, 13 Aug 1997 23:02:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Jonathan A. Zdziarski" <jonz@netrail.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Encryption Upgrade

On Wed, 13 Aug 1997, Jonathan A. Zdziarski wrote:

> After looking at the libraries, I see that I'm moving from des to md5 -
> from libdescrypt to libscrypt's.

Yuck.  This sucks.  I recommend avoiding this if you can; all of your
passwords will cease to function unless you can figure out a way to
convert them to MD5 before you pull the swap.  I realize that md5 is
probably more secure, but md5->des is really a one-way street.

Usually you need DES if you are doing any inter-system authentication, ie
rsh.  I understand tho if you're moving out of the US or some other
similiar restriction.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo