Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 1997 11:46:47 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        terry@lambert.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, jdp@austin.polstra.com
Subject:   Re: Building Solaris->FreeBSD cross binutils

> > Hmm.  What's the status of our ELF support?  Can I just use the
> > ELF version and make a cross development system for FreeBSD
> > ELF binaries?  I assume we're going to have native ELF support
> > some time in the future, so if there was a patch kit to 2.2.1
> > (or even 3.0) I could live with that.
>
> If you have the FreeBSD ELF ABI in your kernel, or load it as a
> module, you can use John Polstra's ELFKit to produce ELF binaries
> for most normal files.

Is the ability to execute native FreeBSD ELF in -current or
2.2.1-RELEASE?  Or do I need the ELF kit for that?  I know I
can run Linux ELF binaries, so I assume native ELF support
is there.

I can build GNAT under Solaris as ELF for FreeBSD, so I am
just concerned with running it as ELF under FreeBSD for right
now.  Once it runs as ELF under FreeBSD, I should be able
to rebuild it as a.out, right?

> Jeffrey Hsu had done this at one point (it was Jeffrey Hsu who wrote
> the original PIC support for GCC that enabled BSD's LKM and shared
> library code).  You might want to contact him (hsu@freebsd.org).

This seems like a better option right now.  Thanks for the
pointer.

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org