Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 21:22:06 +0200 (SAST)
From:      Sean Greven <sgreven@cyber.za.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   natd - static and dynamic

As a service provision organisation, We have a need to run natd as a
service for users inside our network.  Since we make use of private
address space we need to translate outbound sessions to certain ip
addresses, the only problem here is that the overload address cannot be an
alias address on the outside interface or the outside interface address,
since scale is an issue and binding to all the alias addresses causes
problems, as well as the fact that certain addreses are permitted
certain priviliges through the firewalls of ourpeering networks.

We also have a need for static addressing, so that we can "mirror" our
customers internal hosts to "virtual"(public) ip addresses.  We currently
do this with cisco IP Plus software on our routers with success, however
it would suit us to run this on our BSD platforms.

I have managed to configure this using the following command
along with setting up proxy arp and routing rules.

natd -m -s -n fxp0 -f natd.conf

and natd.conf contains.

#static mappings
redirect_address 10.1.1.1 (public_address1)
redirect_address 10.1.230.111 (public_address2)
.....etc...
#dynamic mappings
redirect_address 10.3.3.1 (public_address254)
redirect_address 10.3.3.2 (public_address254)
redirect_address 10.5.7.16 (public_address254)
......etc....etc....

the problem here is the lack of a netmask or prefix setting for the
overloading of a large range of addresses.  On 3.4-RELEASE I tested KAME
and it had a kernel based nat called SuMiTe , which worked very well if
one used the pma utility to define your nat pools.  However the kame
project code has been largely incorporated into 4.0-RELEASE and it seems
as if SuMiTe has done a dissapearing act out of both the BSD code base
as well as the KAME SNAP release for 4.0. Is it possible to get natd to
emulate this behavior in any way ?

Any help would be appreciated.

All opinions expressed in this E-Mail are my own
unless otherwise indicated, and are in no way to
be affilliated with the opinions of SITA pty ltd.

Sean Greven

Network Consultant / Security Consultant