Date:      Sat, 31 Oct 1998 19:08:50 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        jwd@unx.sas.com (John W. DeBoskey)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: scsi disk (cam?) problems

John W. DeBoskey wrote...
> Hi,
>
>    My -CURRENT system has been experiencing problems since I converted
> it to cam awhile back. The following show up on my console, and then
> my disks are useless until I completely shutdown, powerdown my drive
> array, power it back on, and reboot. I have 4 identical drives configured
> as a ccd. They have been serving me well more about a year...
>
>    If anyone has any ideas on how I can track down the problem, please
> let me know!
>
> Thanks,
> John
>
> /dev/ccd0a             2155550  1268428   714678    64%    /snap
> /dev/ccd0b             2155550  1020154   962952    51%    /usr/obj
> /dev/ccd0d            17244630 12876242  2988818    81%    /pub
>
> Snipped from messages: (This kernel was built on the 28th), I'm now on
>                        a kernel built Oct 31.
[ ... ]

> Oct 30 10:52:35 FreeBSD /kernel: (da2:ahc0:0:3:0): Invalidating pack
> Oct 30 10:52:35 FreeBSD /kernel: (da2:ahc0:0:3:0): Invalidating pack

Well, what's happening here is that one of your disks is returning an
error, and keeps returning that error.  Reads and writes in the da driver
have a retry count of 4.  So by the time we print out the message above,
the command has already been retried four times.  We may also have taken a
number of error recovery actions to try to bring the device back.

Because your disk is in a CCD array, though, you won't be able to access
the CCD array when one disk in the array is marked as invalid.

For some reason, though, the sense information for the error in question
isn't getting printed out.  It may be that there's a bug in the sense code
table somewhere.

How often does this happen?  Could you try booting with -v, and see if you
can reproduce the problem?  I think that that (booting with -v) should
cause the error to be printed out.  If I know the error, I may be able to
help you work around it, or at least tell you that one of your disks is on
the blink.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry