Date:      Wed, 23 Jun 1999 00:13:14 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        "Guess Who..." <ptacek@mcn.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Portland, FreeBSD, and DSL

>Sorry if I am a bit off topic here but I
>am looking for some advice.  I will be
>moving to the Portland area in about 1-3
>months and need to get DSL service.
>Basically I would like to get suggestions
>on ISPs that offer DSL in the Portland
>area. How difficult is it to get FreeBSD
>set up with them and what kinds of service
>do they offer for the price (bang for buck).
>I will need at least one static IP, more
>would be nice but I can use NAT. Since I
>don't have a place yet, any recommendations
>on certain areas. What is the best way of
>finding out if someplace is DSL capable
>before committing, can they check a line
>without a phone number. Can I find out where
>the DSL capable stations are so I don't waste
>my time looking outside the 2-3 mile range.
>
>Also I see there is a FreeBSD users group in
>the Portland area and I look forward to
>learning more about it once I get there.

   Both GTE and USWest will do line quality tests for free and tell you what
speed(s), if any, will work at a specific address. With GTE I think they
wanted a specific phone number (since they test that specific line in the
case of multiple lines at one address).
   The DSL modem just acts like an ethernet bridge and is fully compatible
with FreeBSD. I have a block of static addresses. DHCP is usually used
for dynamic addresses (but I have no experiance with using that). In any case
getting set up to use DSL with FreeBSD is trivial.
   I have 768Kbps DSL service from GTE with 'Internet Arena' as my service
provider. My costs run about $180/month total for telco+ISP.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com