Date:      Mon, 02 Jul 2012 15:31:45 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@MIT.EDU>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
Subject:   Re: PORTS_MODULES in src.conf: make: don't know how to make instclean. Stop

On 07/02/2012 13:41, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Jul 2012, Doug Barton wrote:

>>> "Don't do that."
>>> PORTS_MODULES is documented to belong in make.conf, not src.conf.
>>
>> It works fine in src.conf. Please point to the documentation you speak
>> of so that it can be fixed.
>
> PORTS_MODULES is listed in make.conf.5, and is not listed in src.conf.5.

I see. That's a side effect of the wacky way in which src.conf.5 is
built, combined with the fact that no one has yet migrated the things in
make.conf.5 that predated the creation of src.conf altogether. There are
numerous other examples, including KERNCONF and MODULES_OVERRIDE that I
have in my src.conf just off the top of my head.

Fixing this would be a great task for a doc person who wanted to get
more exposure to src stuff. :)

> From src.conf:
>      The only purpose of src.conf is to control the compilation of the
> FreeBSD
>      source code, which is usually located in /usr/src.
> This would seem to not include Ports code (which is usually located in
> /usr/ports).

I think the first "usually" is the one that is more relevant. However,
that sentence is badly phrased to start with. It should probably say
something like, "The /etc/src.conf file is used for make options that
are exclusive to the build process for the base OS." Since PORTS_MODULES
falls into that category (even though the code lives in ports, it's part
of the base build process), it qualifies.

Also, and much more importantly, putting it in src.conf actually works,
which you probably should have checked first before commenting. :)

> I'm pretty sure it's come up in the past that src.conf should only be
> used for those build options explicitly documented in it, and not other
> settings

Unfortunately, there has been confusion on this point in the past, I
agree. However it's important to note that "the documentation" is not
necessarily the final appeal to authority, since "we" wrote the
documentation, and "we" get it wrong sometimes. :)

Doug