Date:      Thu, 19 Jan 2012 15:13:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Kozubik <john@kozubik.com>
To:        Dieter BSD <dieterbsd@engineer.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD has serious problems with focus, longevity, and lifecycle

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012, Dieter BSD wrote:

> John writes:
>> - EOL 7
>> - mark 8 as legacy
>> - mark 9 as the _only_ production release
>> - release 10.0 in January 2017
>
> Until a few days ago 8 was the latest, shinest release.
> So you want to suddenly demote it all the way down to legacy?
> I thought the goal was to have releases that can be used for a long time?

No, that's not quite what I meant.

I was speaking at the same time about the problem of having two concurrent
"production" releases.

Since 9.0 is already released, you can't stop having two production
releases with 8, since 9 is already here.

So i was saying *after* you continue the normal 8.x lifecycle (perhaps
another 1 or 1.5 years, getting it to 8.5 *then* you make the drastic
changes, which I showed in the list above.

So 8 would become legacy on the same schedule that it always had.  No
changes there.  The change comes with 9 being the only production release,
and 10.0-RELEASE being delayed.