Date:      Tue, 5 Sep 2000 18:43:43 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        jason <jason@welsh.dynip.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: running out of swap space

jason writes:
> I have a freebsd 4.0 system running just fine, but im running outta swap
> space and space in general. I have a brand new 13 gig hard drive that I
> want to transfer the system over to. What I really want to do is transfer
> the whole drive over to my new 13 gig drive.  Is there an easy way to do
> this? would something like ghost do me any good?

ghost won't do you any good - it would just copy the bits. You can do
that yourself, but that's not really a very good idea.

What I did (under nearly those conditions) was to decide on what the
new system layout should be (in your case, this means at least
providing more swap), then did a clean install of FreeBSD on the new /
and /usr. Configure it, using the old system as reference. Doing it
this way means you've at least cleaned up the system disks, if nothing
else.

Finally, move the non-system partitions to the new disk, one at a
time. You need to newfs and mount the new partitions as well as the
old ones, then the command is:

	(cd /old; tar cvf - .) | (cd /new; tar xpf -)

If you're using dump to back the file system up, do a level 0 after
that. You can, of course, try the above for the system file systems
and well.

	<mike