Date:      Fri, 25 May 2007 19:54:30 -0300
From:      JoaoBR <joao@matik.com.br>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>, Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
Subject:   Re: xorg 7.2 start problem

On Friday 25 May 2007 13:54:04 Oliver Fromme wrote:
> JoaoBR wrote:
>  > Roland Smith wrote:
>  > > It didn't. All the drivers were in one huge package, the X server. N=
ow
>  > > they are in seperate ports. But the xorg or xorgs-drivers meta-ports
>  > > should install all of them.
>  >
>  > ok, that is what I ment, the better way would be that portupgrade
>  > installs them all as before (when they were in the package)
>
> That's exactly what happens when you install the xorg meta
> port (as explained in the UPDATING instructions).

ok but the meta port is what the name says and probably not interesting for=
=20
everybody like kde3 meta port, same thing, big big big

>  > > Tools like portupgrade and portmaster and even the ports system are
>  > > great but they have their limitations. I think they are kept
>  > > relatively simple for a reason. It's much better to have a simple
>  > > (maintainable) tool that does 95% of the jobs well than to build an
>  > > extremely complicated ACME contraption that can cover all the corner
>  > > cases and oddball situations. It's just not worth the effort.
>  >
>  > I agree and totally understandable but when there is a big change
>  > involved then it would be wise to advise more clearly what is happening
>  > from within the upgrade process because almost nobody reads the files
>
> I think that's wrong.  Almost everybody reads UPDATING.
> Those who don't start threads on one of the mailing lists.

may be or may be not, what I want to say is that when something was ever a=
=20
certain way then a sudden change need to be better adviced, especially long=
=20
before the change in fact occurres.=20

Same as a power out, you are used to having power so when interrupted witho=
ut=20
previous advice you may not agree. Or your street is twoway, suddenly they=
=20
change it into oneway and exactly the contrary direction you are used to=20
leave your house each morning.=20

So you crash into a car i bet you are not wanting to hear : oh silly you=20
haven't read the sign? and more I guess you sure will sue the city and held=
=20
them responsible because they did not advice you properly in time.

And that is exactly the same thing with xorg, ipfw,  /etc or anything which=
 we=20
got used to.  And I tell you, each time in my live I typed X11R6 I thought=
=20
jeee, who might have invented this thing. Anyway, still so, you can not mov=
e=20
it away without publishing it over and over anywhere to prevent this shit t=
o=20
happened. And especially not moving before you are sure the migration reall=
y=20
works. Xorg is too big and too important and especially too much needed in=
=20
our daily work.

Knowing this all creates responsibility for whom dares to change the port a=
nd=20
this guy need to be prepared to hear anything and to help everybody but not=
=20
calling us stupid shitheads which do not read the book

>  > other ports do it for less and a message like local base has changed y=
ou
>  > need to edit your xorg.conf or something would do good here
>
> If someone refused to read UPDATING, then why would he
> not ignore a message that scrolls through the screen at
> some point?
>
> As others have already stated, there are very detailed
> instructions in /usr/port/UPDATING.  You should not
> blindly update your ports without looking at that file.

well well ... but the xorg advice even following step by step does not work=
=20
and let you still with "fixed not found" and X dead ... and no need to ask=
=20
grrrreeing for script logs because there is no error

Also this updating advice is kind of vage and incorrect and the sequence is=
=20
wrong. Even if Kris gets pissed off again UPDATING is wrong:

"...try moving aside  your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and allow X to auto-create it"

because it does not autocreate but use defaults

=2E.. it suggest to do portupgrade -Rf libXft which obviously upgrades xorg=
 but=20
does not install the meta port

=2E.. it tells to run script xorg-upgrade but this xorg-upgrade does not ex=
ist=20
either

and at the end it does not really explain anything what happens and it seem=
s=20
to be exactly what it is starting with: welcome to a mystical journey ... o=
r=20
better get fucked ... or get yourself a backup computer because you will be=
=20
48 hours without X ... :)

so please dont tell me to read something what does not work as it should ...

and then what ? everybody calling us silly stupids because we do not read,=
=20
nice deal, yup,  I like that, I really love it

so then, imagin how much people do not have any chance to solve this=20
problem: "fixed not found" and they do not claim, eventually they ask=20
something but get RTFM back, so they step back

so, and now?=20

IMO before some sends me reading the manual I ask him to write a good one b=
ut=20
not some crap what does not work either

well then, what Roland wrote about worth and effort I agree, that is almost=
=20
exactly like things work - but under normal conditions. A complete path=20
migration of a port old and big as xorg need something better

even cvsup must be envolved here, ldconfig, login.conf and a lot of other=20
things which might cause troubles later. That is not solved by Kris's=20
solution overwriting rc.conf default's local_startup in rc.conf

My vote here is that this xorg wamp is a rampage and was bad planned  and t=
hat=20
is not blaming people, dear Kris, this is simply a fact. You got us cold wi=
th=20
or without reading.

so and if some still reads, here is my suggestion which certainly also is n=
ot=20
100% but at least it ran on our branch on 200 machines this night and all=20
woke up with X running

you can save it in a file, chmod +x and execute it as root and if you have=
=20
luck it does the whole thing, eventually you need to check after if there a=
re=20
still some ports which need attention

you also should run afterwards something as

find /etc/ -type f -exec grep -l -i "X11R6" {} \;

to see where else the old path name is involved and change manually to what=
=20
you want or need until covered by a releng update or whatever

###
set BATCH=3Dyes
portsnap fetch
portsnap update
cp -Rpn /usr/X11R6/* /usr/local/
rm -R /usr/X11R6
ln -s /usr/local /usr/X11R6
pkg_delete -f xorg\*
portinstall -fkP xorg
portupgrade -fP `portversion -v | grep \< | awk '{print $1}'`
sed -i '' -e 's/usr\/X11R6/usr\/local/g' /etc/X11/xorg.conf
sed -i '' -e 's/usr\/X11R6/usr\/local/g' /usr/local/share/config/kdm/kdmrc
sed -i '' -e 's/\/usr\/X11R6\/bin//g' /etc/login.conf=20
cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf
sed -i '' -e 's/\/usr\/X11R6\/bin//g'  /root/.cshrc
sed -i '' -e 's/\:\/usr\/X11R6\/bin//g'  /root/.profile
sed -i '' -e 's/\:\/usr\/X11R6\/etc\/rc\.d//g'  /etc/defaults/rc.conf
sed -i '' -e 's/\:\/usr\/X11R6\/lib//g'  /etc/defaults/rc.conf
sed -i '' -e 's/\:\/usr\/X11R6\/lib\/aout//g'  /etc/defaults/rc.conf
sed -i '' -e 's/\:\/usr\/X11R6\/libdata\/ldconfig//g'  /etc/defaults/rc.conf
sed -i '' -e 's/\:\/usr\/X11R6\/libdata\/ldconfig32//g'  /etc/defaults/rc.c=
onf
cd /home
find . -name \.cshrc -exec sed -i '' -e 's/\/usr\/X11R6\/bin//g' {} \;
find . -name \.profile -exec sed -i '' -e 's/\:\/usr\/X11R6\/bin//g' {} \;
#reboot
###

=2D-=20

Jo=E3o