Date:      Mon, 16 Jun 1997 17:22:52 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
Cc:        Yixin Jin <yjin@cs.ucla.edu>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fxtv

Hi,

>I think the device driver code has something wrong with read/write address
>of Hauppauge wincast/TV card, which I use. It should be 0xc2/0xc3. I
>change it and see the kernel can correctly recognize my card, and freqency
>can be changed.

it shouldn't be 0xc2/0xc3 UNLESS they changed the design of the tuner.
these addresses are the "guaranteed addresses" for the PLL, but it should
also respond to the alt addresses.  it is the alt addresses that allow us to
differentiate between brands/models of tuners.  Saying this it occurs to
me that my patch of several days ago is probably too simplistic to work
if indeed they changed the addresses, as using the XXX_OVVERRIDE defines
will use the addresses that aren't being probed in the first place (ie the
cause of the probe failure).

The bottom line here is that someone needs to study output from both
sign.c and eeprom.c from these newer cards, and the older cards, and then
determine something unique for each.  from this "uniqueness" the probe code
can be modified to recognize all the cards out there.  be aware that the
eeprom contents vary in some fields from an instance of a particular model
to another of the same model only a few numbers away in the serial# order.
(ps, I don't have the time to do it, so don't bother sending any sign/eeprom
outputs to me)

sign.c/eeprom.c can be found:

http://www.freebsd.org/~fsmp/HomeAuto/Bt848.html

(pps, be careful with the eeprom program, YOU CAN SPAM YOUR CARD'S EEPROM
WITH IT!!!)

---
>However, still HRC is not supported, but at this time even
>channel 2 doesn't show up. I change to IRC. Then I can change the
>channels, but only channel 5 and channel 6 can be received correctly.
>And It seems that I can receive the voice of other channels, but not
>video.

There is no support for HRC, primarily because I didn't have a clue to what
frequencies it uses.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by