Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 2002 10:40:24 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <bsd@perimeter.co.za>
To:        "Scott Rothgaber" <scott@easley.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SSH / PuTTY on 4.5

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Rothgaber" <scott@easley.net>

> I'm using PuTTY to talk to several servers running 4.1, 4.4 and
> various releases of BSD/OS, each of which is running SSH 3.1.0
> built from source. Today I built a FreeBSD 4.5 machine and
> installed SSH. PuTTY connects but just sits there. No login
> prompt.
>
> I killed the daemon ran `sshd2 -d 2' and nothing obvious showed
> up in `auth.log'.
>
> Next, I uninstalled 3.1.0 and installed 2.3.0 from the ports
> collection. Same result.
>
> Is this a 4.5 thing?

Couple of things to check:
1) Is the host able to reverse-lookup your IP? - I think sshd prefers
for that to work before it will shake your hand.
2) Sometime around 4.5 the ssh version included S/key authentication for
the first time.  You can disable this in sshd_config, or on your PuTTY
Client Session parameters.  But I don't think this is the problem you
have described.

Regards,
Patrick O'Reilly.
    http://www.perimeter.co.za