Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 1997 15:11:10 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Charles Mott <cmott@srv.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A Parable

> The FreeBSD team wakes up and says, "Let's audit the entire house for
> fires, termite damage, worn carpet, and scratches in the walls -- starting
> first in the kitchen."  They then go back to sleep.

A cute parable, but unfortunately somewhat inaccurate since I can assure
you that few people are getting lots of sleep these days.  It actually
goes somewhat more like this:

The FreeBSD team wakes up and says, "Let's audit the entire house for
fires, termite damage, worn carpet, and scratches in the walls --
starting first in the kitchen.  Oh, but before that, we also should
probably note that the godzilla/mothra war on the front lawn will
undoubtedly destroy the entire house if we don't put a stop to it
first.  If a couple of you could get started on the refrigerator, the
rest of us are going to go outside with some hoses and rakes to get
those pesky critters off our lawn before one of them picks the other
up and slam dunks him on this house, like they're always doing in the
movies.  We'll be back soon!"

[they file out, rakes at port-arms, while the remaining volunteers open
the regrigerator and peer cautiously inside it.  "Hey!  I saw something
move in there!  It's..  It's holding up a crude sign, written in mustard,
which says ``free the freezer five!''  And it's got a knife!  Aigh!!
OK, so who wants to go in there first?" (nobody moves a muscle) ]