Date:      Wed, 27 Oct 1999 08:50:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jaime Kikpole <jaime@malkav.snowmoon.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Password changing (NetATalk, PAM, shadow passwords)

	I've been trying to set up a NetATalk server which needs to allow
users to change their passwords.  Since they shouldn't have telnet access
to the server, I was hoping to make this work over the NetATalk system
itself.  My research has uncovered two ways to do this, either of which
would work on Linux (I think) but I can't figure out how to get it to work
with my much prefered OS (FreeBSD).

	Specifically, NetATalk's afpd program will let you change your
password via shadow passwords or PAM.  Does PAM in FreeBSD (3.3 is what I
have installed on the server now) support session or password calls?  The
port of NetATalk had a patch to the etc/afpd/Makefile which implied that
it didn't.

	The shadow password support in afpd causes it to include shadow.h.
A quick "locate shadow.h" doesn't turn up this file.  Can anyone help me
figure out if its in FreeBSD and where I could find it or include it from?

	Alternately, if anyone knows a better way (or *any* way) to allow
the NetATalk package to change passwords for users, please let me know.
It would mean a great deal to me, as I've already dumped 3 weeks into
getting this hardware to work with FreeBSD and RAID in order to avoid
switching to Linux (which I know a lot less about).

					Thanks in advance!
					Jaime